[Public] Fwd: [News/Update] Hardware Hackathon in Delhi!

Dushyant Mehta mehtadushy at gmail.com
Fr Feb 6 15:54:08 CET 2015

Hi Folks

The hardware hackathon idea that was being discussed around Sept last year
was successfully completed this past weekend. Thanks to everyone in the
community who pitched in with helpful suggestions! Attached is the update
from Associate Prof DV Gadre who planned and organized the event.
Comments/suggestions/queries are to be directed to Prof Gadre who is copied
in the mail.

Best Regards,
Dushyant Mehta

Hello!

Greetings from New Delhi!

We at CEDT, recently organized India's first ever, real 'Hardware
Hackathon' (http://www.hack4india.in). The aim of the hackathon was to
germinate the idea of pursuing electronics and embedded hardware centric
projects and products at the student and entrepreneur level.

This event which was in planning for quite some time and suffered from many
false starts, eventually happened from 30th January to 1st February 2015.
This hackathon, planned to be held on our campus, had to be shifted out of
NSIT due to the perceived lock down of NSIT campus over the weekend. We
still managed to hold the inauguration event at NSIT, in the
mini-auditorium from 6 pm onwards and after dinner, transported all the
participants and our volunteers (70 odd people) to the 91 Springboard (a
start up accelerator hub) campus in Gurgaon.

In spite of the initial difficulties the event happened with great gusto
and evinced unbelievable interest and enthusiasm from participants,
mentors, judges and visitors! In all 40 participants in 16 teams
participated. Needless to say, the stellar support of our students and
sponsor companies (TATA Power, Agnitio, Texas Instruments India, Springer,
91Springboard, Nasscom's 10000 startups, IESA etc) played a major role.

Our volunteers worked tirelessly and without sleep for 50 hours have
crashed for a much deserved rest and will delay sharing of pictures and
final report and a press release but here is a link to an online blog that
captured the essence of the event:
http://pixr8.com/hack4india-hardware-hackathon-budding-entrepreneurs-delhi/

All the judges and mentors were presented with handmade mementos with on
board an MSP430 microcontroller and a sample picture is enclosed. A
detailed 'How To' on how to duplicate/customize this memento is being
written. The battery powered circuit goes to sleep after a minute and
pressing the lone switch wakes it up.

Also, a video in action: Watch "Electronic Memento" on YouTube - Electronic
Memento: http://youtu.be/VFfMgIJoV6I
Thank you.

Warm Regards,
--